Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Tea Time

Being sensitive to caffeine, I am always on the lookout for herb teas. I found a great blend that was a bit tart, but very yummy. I soon came to realize that buying tea in a pretty little package with individually wrapped bags was drowning my finances! I took a look at the ingredients and was astonished at how simple they were. I headed to the local health food store and bought all the herbs I needed for my tea blend. I felt like a mad scientist! I brewed each herb, sipped, tasted and asked for the kids opinions. We finally came up with a personal blend that we all like. It tastes great hot or cold and with or without honey. I made a batch about 1/2 a mason jar full and am enjoying it. If you get a chance, mix your own tea, it's fun and cost cutting! Here is the blend I made:



Hibiscus Medley
  • 1 part rosehips
  • 2 part chamomile
  • 1/2 part cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 part hibiscus


I measured the herbs whole, mixed them together, then ran the mix through a coffee grinder. I serve 1 teaspoon per 8 oz of water. I have a little strainer basket that I add the herbs to then I pour boiling water over the herbs to fill the cup. Let it steep for about 5 minutes. It turns a beautiful magenta color. Enjoy!

No comments: