A few weeks ago, while having breakfast with some friends, we were talking about Advent and Christmas traditions that we did as families and in different cultures. One of my friends seated at the table is from the Philippines. He was telling us that where he comes from, they actually don't start decorating until nine days before Christmas. They make it kinda like a novena to start preparing for the nine days leading up to Christmas.
This year, we've been very busy; doing, stuff! Yeah, stuff...So busy, that we weren't able to go to the tree farm and cut down our tree. Sad, but true. The kids have been very patient, but at the same time anxious to get a tree. Low and behold, nine days before Christmas, my wonderful husband brings home a tree, a perfect tree. It is beautiful and I was so thankful that he did this small favor. Slowly the tree has been decorated here and there, but tonight, with the help a wonderful young lady, our tree was finished.
Now, before it was finished, Mike ran to the store to get sauerkraut for dinner. Instead of bringing home sauerkraut, he brought home new tree lights and tinsel. Hmmm, this could be dangerous! Well, I snickered and giggled and rolled my eyes when I realized what kind of lights he actually bought! Blue and white snowflakes!!!! The tinsel wasn't tinsel, it was a garland! I teased him about our throw back to the 70's, but our tree is indeed beautiful! Blue is my favorite color and it is the color for Our Lady!
Now that I look back on the past few days, I can see that I have slowly been preparing for Christmas. Maybe we will bake some cookies this week and continue to prepare our home. I'll take my time wrapping the presents and think about the gifts Jesus received. I'll say some extra prayers for my family and friends to prepare my heart to receive the most precious gift, the gift of Our Savior, Jesus.
It amazes me that God started the ball rolling just a few days ago, so I would be able to begin to prepare nine days before Christmas! Nothing happens accidentally, everything is gifted providentially. We just need to trust and obey and He will make it happen!
Check out our tree below. I think it will be in honor of Our Lady with all the blue lights. Her "yes" brought Mercy and Love himself, into this world! God Bless you all and Merry Christmas!

1 comment:
Beautiful tree. I am sure you all had have a beautiful Christmas Day with little Jesus in your hearts.
Justina Perez, DJM from Puerto Rico
Post a Comment