Thursday, October 2, 2008

Cracked Up

Yesterday, our first chick hatched! We arrived home just in time to watch it peek out of it's shell and work its way into the world.






Here it is, just as it climbed out of it's shell.







When #1 was born, it's umbilicle cord was still attached, luckily nature took care of itself and I didn't have to perform minor (very minor) surgery, involving dental floss and scissors. It's feet though are slightly curled and have been advised, by the 4H chicken professional, to massage it's feet. Never thought I would be the personal masseuse and physical therapist for a chick!





Needless to say, we were all EGGCITED!




I didn't think we were going to get any chicks. This one was actually a day early. Our friends only hatched 3 chicks.





Less than 24 hours old. It sure makes a lot of noise for such a little guy!






We are waiting to see if we get any more. If not, we either need to procure another one or give this little guy to someone else. Chickens are social creatures and need at least one companion.

No comments: