Just yesterday, I went to say goodbye to an old friend. I've known this gentleman my entire life. I don't ever remember not knowing him. You see, our friend has been given two months to live. My two older brothers and I (along with my two younger children) went to visit our friend and his wife. We talked about old times and he told us stories about mutual friends. We laughed and enjoyed each other's company. The visit was very pleasant. It's been a long time since I last saw him, a very long time. When it was time to go, we gave hugs all around and said our goodbyes. It was all very nice indeed. But, today, something struck me. I have never had a chance to say goodbye to any one before, knowing full well that that would be the last time I would see them alive. Though we had such a wonderful time reminiscing what I remember most about yesterday is the look in his eyes when we said our final goodbye. It was truly beautiful, a look of love and surrender. Today, I realized what a special gift I was given. It's not everyday that we get to say goodbye like that.
In the past, conversations have led to the question, "What would you do if you knew you were going to die within 1 year or 6 months or whatever?" Many people respond by saying they would like to travel or do something out of character or whatever. After yesterday, my desire would be to have the opportunity to say goodbye to all those that I crossed paths with during my life time. A chance to reminisce, laugh and to tell new stories.
Thank you Lord for the gift of life, family and friendship. Blessed Mother, hold our dear friend in your hands and present him to your Son and wrap your mantle of comfort, peace and love around his surviving family. Amen.
Thursday, October 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment