"Whoever looses his life for my sake will save it." Lk 9 22-25. This was the Gospel for the 2nd day in Lent. A time to grow closer to Christ.
This bit of scripture reminded me again of Grandma. She slowly slipped away, it didn't happen all at once or quickly. Time slowly and quietly changed her. In her final stages, she knew nothing, really, of what was happening. She carried her cross a long time. As she aged, others helped her carry it. As she quietly slipped into her own world of memories, she bore the biggest cross of them all, but didn't even realize what she was doing. She gently carried the cross of the unkown. She carried it valiantly with out complaint. She became so empty of herself and who she was to so many people. All that remained was her steadfast faith, and her loyal prayers and her best friend, the Holy Rosary. That's all she really needed, no more and no less. Clinging to her faith she carried her cross. Those around her that cared and watched over her are present day Simons of Cyrene. They helped her carry her cross by tending to her physical needs since she could no longer care for herself. All that time they were blessing Grandma, she in turn was blessing them. I thank God for family. It is during these hard times, that family is so important.
Wednesday, March 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I wholeheartedly enjoyed Carolyn's blogs. Just wanted to say that I lost my mother 41 years ago, this April 30 and I still cry when I think of her. Now I will reflect all the wonderful things that happened with Emily, my mother-in-law. She welcomed me into the Honniball family. She treated me as one of her own. I love her dearly.
Irene (Martinez) Honniball"
Post a Comment